Each rest home is NOT as unique as the community it serves. Just as there are individuals with different needs, there are different homes to consider in making the best care choice. Rest homes vary, so it is important to visit more than one. A few home are attached to a nursing home, while others stand alone. Our membership is comprised of not-for-profits and for-profits. Some homes care for as few as 9 individuals up to as large as 89 people. Most are traditional homes assisting older adults, while others care for only nuns or priests or persons associated with religious orders. Other homes oversee the care for a group of people with major mental illnesses. Most do accept those with MassHealth, certain eligible veterans, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) while others require private funds only.
All homes offer a basic range of services, all for one fixed daily rate:
- Coordination of medical care,
- 3 meals a day and snacks, including special diets,
- Provide nursing, pharmacy, dietary and social service consultation,
- Staff available 24 hours a day for oversight, first aid and emergencies,
- Medication administration and maintenance of a medical record,
- Personal care as needed,
- Activity program at least 5 days a week,
- Housekeeping and laundry (including personal laundry) services.